Startup and business development support – $200 million
- Startup accelerator program – $100 million: A 5 x expansion of the current technological incubator program (from the current network of 4) to 20 tech incubators over a period of 5 years.
- Business diagnosis advice and consultancy – $100 million
- High growth support: This type of program is increasingly offered in other OECD countries, based on evidence that high growth potential businesses – which are found in all sectors – are more likely than firms in general to create jobs and foster productivity growth.
- Early warning program: The recent pandemic shock has highlighted the need for and benefits of a program to support businesses in distress.
Innovation support – $170 million
- R&D grants for academic institutions – $100 million: Designed to support pre-competitive, collaborative R&D projects in areas of cleantech including biotech, nanotech and energy.
- Technology Transfer Organisations – $20 million: Enables knowledge to be transferred out of the university with a commercial orientation, in order to provide a range of social and economic benefits to society. Technology transfer offices (TTOs) are an interface between university and industry and conduct commercial activities on behalf of the university.
- Innovation agents & networks – $50 million: Through the use of specially qualified consultants this program addresses many of the barriers to innovation experienced by SMEs, such as lack of knowledge about the innovation process, lack of capacity to undertake innovation, and limited awareness of external innovation services.
Financing – $750 million
- Expansion of VC Fund industry – $250 million: When we apply the lessons learned from other successful national innovation strategies to a New Zealand context it is clear that a significant expansion of our VC Fund Industry is a crucial priority to providing the funding needed for the scale and scope of innovative programs required.
- Government Credit Guarantee Program – $500 million: An initiative designed to ensure cleantech SMEs have sufficient access to bank financing including longer term financing by reducing finance providers’ risk in doing so.
Access to markets – $80 million
- SME Public Procurement program – $20 million: Each year in New Zealand government agencies spend approximately $41 billion, around 18% of GDP, procuring a wide range of goods and services from third party suppliers. Improved access to this market by local business would help significantly in providing the impetus and additional market opportunity to drive innovation.
- Internationalisation programs – $60 million: addressing the export development needs of firms through a range of activities tailored to the different stages of export activity. We have consequently modelled
- Getting Export ready
- First Flight
- Market access grants
This outline is intended to provide a broad outline of the party’s position on significant issues to guide our policy development process and help supporters to decide if this is a party they want to join.
More detailed policy is currently being developed and will be released in the coming months.
Our vision is a clean, green New Zealand.
Our mission is to promote sustainable, prosperous communities.
The challenges we face are urgent and the environment can’t wait. We will make a real difference by 2021, one that can be sustained.
Our top 3 priorities
- Our top priority is safe, healthy water that sustains life.
- To save our native species from extinction.
- We will create sustainable economic growth.
Clean, Safe Water
- We will clean up our freshwater and target reduction of sedimentation and run-off through improved land management.
- We will create a Minister for Water to coordinate all the councils, health boards and government departments that manage water.
- We will invest in improvements to stormwater and wastewater treatment.
- We will ask councils to work with each other to improve efficiency.
- We will support all commercial marinas to have safe hull cleaning facilities.
- We will put cameras on fishing vessels and incentivise sustainable fisheries.
- We will consult on establishing more ocean sanctuaries.
- We will invest in our navy and air force to defend our Exclusive Economic Zone and protect our oceans.
No More Extinctions
- We will invest a billion dollars in conservation.
- We will fully implement the new Biodiversity Strategy and National Policy Statement on Indigenous Biodiversity.
- We will fund community groups and farmers to control pests and weeds.
- We will set aside land that is a significant habitat.
- We will support scientific advances in pest, weed and disease control.
- We will aggressively combat wilding pines and other plant pests.
- We will apply the provisions of the Waste Minimisation Act 2008.
- We will introduce product stewardship to reduce waste at source and progressively put in place an 85% plus recovery standard.
- We will apply a comprehensive landfill levy shifting the cost from ratepayers to waste producers.
- Appoint an independent Commissioner for Animals as an advocate for the welfare of all animals, including farm, companion and wild animals. Read our full Animal Welfare policy here.
- We will establish a Climate Change Commission and follow their advice to reduce global emissions and put a fair price on carbon.
- We will subsidise new technology to minimise emissions.
- We will work to double the amount of renewable electricity before 2050.
- We will stop the use of coal to generate electricity.
- We will phase out the use of coal for industrial process heating.
- We will work with farmers to be world-leading in sustainable farming.
- We will ‘offset’ our methane emissions through forestry.
- We will promote sustainable economic growth enabled by improved productivity.
- We will work to transition the economy to be more sustainable both financially and environmentally.
- We will make New Zealand a place where talent wants to live by accelerating the application of science to business innovation.
- We will tax ‘bads’ like pollution, waste and over-consumption to take the pressure off ‘goods’ like income, savings and profits.
- We will introduce variable congestion charges for private transport in urban areas.
- We will reallocate road space to enable safe transport choices.
- We will protect fertile and versatile soils and wetlands from development.
- We will stop new housing development in flood-prone areas.
- We will reform the planning regime for a simpler set of enforceable rules.
- We will make sure the infrastructure is in place to develop housing where people want to live.
- We will enable progressive shared ownership by tenants of state housing.
- We increase community housing for families with an option of shared equity.
Environment-focused party for NZ. Working with any party to get the best deal for water, wildlife, fisheries, soil, and climate change mitigation & adaptation.