This outline is intended to provide a broad outline of the party’s position on significant issues to guide our policy development process and help supporters to decide if this is a party they want to join.
More detailed policy is currently being developed and will be released in the coming months.
Our vision is a clean, green New Zealand.
Our mission is to promote sustainable, prosperous communities.
The challenges we face are urgent and the environment can’t wait. We will make a real difference by 2021, one that can be sustained.
Our top 3 priorities
- Our top priority is safe, healthy water that sustains life.
- To save our native species from extinction.
- We will create sustainable economic growth.
Clean, Safe Water
- We will clean up our freshwater and target reduction of sedimentation and run-off through improved land management.
- We will create a Minister for Water to coordinate all the councils, health boards and government departments that manage water.
- We will invest in improvements to stormwater and wastewater treatment.
- We will ask councils to work with each other to improve efficiency.
- We will support all commercial marinas to have safe hull cleaning facilities.
- We will put cameras on fishing vessels and incentivise sustainable fisheries.
- We will consult on establishing more ocean sanctuaries.
- We will invest in our navy and air force to defend our Exclusive Economic Zone and protect our oceans.
No More Extinctions
- We will invest a billion dollars in conservation.
- We will fully implement the new Biodiversity Strategy and National Policy Statement on Indigenous Biodiversity.
- We will fund community groups and farmers to control pests and weeds.
- We will set aside land that is a significant habitat.
- We will support scientific advances in pest, weed and disease control.
- We will aggressively combat wilding pines and other plant pests.
- We will apply the provisions of the Waste Minimisation Act 2008.
- We will introduce product stewardship to reduce waste at source and progressively put in place an 85% plus recovery standard.
- We will apply a comprehensive landfill levy shifting the cost from ratepayers to waste producers.
- We will establish a Parliamentary Commissioner for Animals to prevent suffering.
- We will fund scientific research into new pest control methods.
- We will make microchipping of cats and dogs free and universal.
- We will establish a Climate Change Commission and follow their advice to reduce global emissions and put a fair price on carbon.
- We will subsidise new technology to minimise emissions.
- We will work to double the amount of renewable electricity before 2050.
- We will stop the use of coal to generate electricity.
- We will phase out the use of coal for industrial process heating.
- We will work with farmers to be world-leading in sustainable farming.
- We will ‘offset’ our methane emissions through forestry.
- We will promote sustainable economic growth enabled by improved productivity.
- We will work to transition the economy to be more sustainable both financially and environmentally.
- We will make New Zealand a place where talent wants to live by accelerating the application of science to business innovation.
- We will tax ‘bads’ like pollution, waste and over-consumption to take the pressure off ‘goods’ like income, savings and profits.
- We will introduce variable congestion charges for private transport in urban areas.
- We will reallocate road space to enable safe transport choices.
- We will protect fertile and versatile soils and wetlands from development.
- We will stop new housing development in flood-prone areas.
- We will reform the planning regime for a simpler set of enforceable rules.
- We will make sure the infrastructure is in place to develop housing where people want to live.
- We will enable progressive shared ownership by tenants of state housing.
- We increase community housing for families with an option of shared equity.